standard How climate change is destroying the Earth

climate change

An interesting infographic from LearnStuff.com for provoking discussion about climate change and could be used as an educational tool for younger audiences.  I think it’s also important to keep in mind that further research, discussion and debate on the degree of environmental change that human-induced climate change plays a role in is imperative to adaptation efforts.  How people experience climate change firsthand is an area of research that will likely play a greater role in both climate change mitigation and adaptation throughout the world.

Climate-Change

3 Comments

1. Who’s to blame? “Humans” says this Learn Stuff site. Not all humans are equally to blame, and a more nuanced discussion should consider corporate interests and also the USD 100 million or more that has been pumped into science-denying institutes and web sites.

On the whole I found this series of ‘posters’ visually uninteresting and hard to take seriously, although much of what underlies the concerns is of vitall importance and probably most of the numbers are correct (plus or minus).

I don’t think the way to educated a ‘dumbed down’ electorate (in the US) is to provided ‘dumbed down’ info-tainment.

1. Hi Ben, I think we agree about this. But I don’t think it’s ‘dumbed down’ necessarily and you need to reach different people in different ways. Perhaps it would be better if it said ‘mostly humans that live in western developed countries’, but China is currently the largest emitter. I think the message is important, but I don’t think this is the only or best way to communicate climate change. However, it is one example that provokes response that can lead to better ways of communicating climate change I think. And yes I think this is aimed at an audience mostly based in the US where apparently ‘most people don’t believe in climate change’, which I don’t think is very accurate either. I think it’s more complex than that. I think creating more positive, optimistic and intelligent messages about adapating to and mitigating climate change is where more work needs to be done.
      BreTT

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *